Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Chinatown Group (B)


Jackilyn
Children of Chinatown
Proposal: What I am proposing in my research into San Francisco Chinatown is a closer look into past lives of children in Chinatown San Francisco, base off the book by Wendy Rouse Sorae. Through my research I am hoping to get inspired by the daily roles the children play in building the community in Chinatown to create a design project (possible garment) that merges my major and my research. More importantly I am interested in researching the struggles these Chinese children had to overcome to assimilate into the American culture. As well as doing a comparison between the Children’s role play now vs. the past.
The People of Chinatown
Proposal 2: Looking into the migration of Chinese immigrants into Chinatown and how they influenced the American culture in fashion and etc. Base off my research I will reinterpret/inspired to design the modern take of that fashion.














Thomas
Upon my entrance to Chinatown, there was many local artworks and murals on buildings that identify Chinatown as a community. I also found the  change of the architectural style very interesting. There were chinese details intertwining with western classical motifs. Some of this motifs were guilted on buildings to attract tourists, others were merely out of traditional Chinese culture. I definitely want to hone in to this aspect of Chinatown and about how the architecture affect the cultural identity as well the community. What does each motif mean as a symbol in both Chinese and Western culture and how did the architecture transform a Victorian facade and infuse the Chinese culture elements into the buildings.






Rhiannon
I would like to compare the storefronts and graphics  in Pre-1906, Post-1906, and current Chinatown.  The early chinatown grew organically as an immigrant community.  The post-1906 Chinatown was almost moved by city planners to the Richmond and they had to pitch a new chinatown that would encourage tourism in order to keep their original location.  Today, it is an established neighborhood with traces of all it´s history. I would like to explore through modelmaking and photomontage.





Tatiana
Design of a small book (for the whole group) - design, image processing, text editing
approximately 18-36 pages (for the whole group)
I want to explore two sides of Chinatown - touristic (postcard-like Chinatown) and local and juxtapose a bright and souvenir-like city within city and the other side of this place with it's sad history of struggle and poverty (life of the local Asian community).













No comments:

Post a Comment